Spring is here, and trails and dirt roads are clearing of snow – for me, that means it’s time to run!
The following are several western Montana races in places known for their scenery, including wildflowers, beginning this weekend with the Buttercup Run in Arlee. New there this year is a half marathon.
For more information about some of the races listed below, read the full story online or in the spring issue of Missoula magazine around town.
I’ll be running 11 Miles to Paradise in May – received word today that it is now full – and the 50K in the brand-new Trail Rail Run near St. Regis. See you out there!
- Saturday, April 6: Buttercup Run, half marathon/10K/5K/1 mile. These race begin at the high school in Arlee and travel roads in the Jocko Valley. New this year is the half marathon.
- Saturday, May 11: Montana Spartan Sprint, about 4 miles. This obstacle-style event takes place at Averill’s Flathead Lake Lodge, outside of Bigfork.
- Sunday, May 19: 11 Miles to Paradise. This trail run courses through the trees along the Clark Fork River between St. Regis and Paradise. Runners can soak at Quinn’s Hot Springs Resort afterward. (This race is full.)
- Saturday, June 1, Evaro Mountain Challenge, 10K and 5K runs and walks. In it’s 27th year, this Evaro race includes challenging 10K events on mountain trails and scenic 5Ks on gravel roads, and benefits a historic community center/schoolhouse.
- Saturday, June 8: Pengelly Double Dip and Single Dip, half marathon and 10K. Run the steep trails up Missoula’s University Mountain and Mount Sentinel.
- Sunday, June 9: Herron Half Marathon and 10K. These races travel the trails of Herron Park on the edge of Kalispell.
- Wednesday, June 19: Ten Spoon 10K and Kids Fun Run. There’s wine for adults and ice cream for kids at Ten Spoon Vineyard and Winery after this trail and road run in Missoula’s Rattlesnake Valley.
- Saturday, June 22: Trail Rail Run, 50 miles/50K/30K/10K. These races travel former railroad beds – including over trestles and through tunnels in some events – between Mullan, Idaho, and St. Regis.
- Saturday, June 22: Waterton Glacier Relay, 100 miles (24 legs). This is a road relay between Cardston, Alberta, and East Glacier, but includes plenty of scenery along the Rocky Mountain Front.
- Saturday, June 29: Mountain-to-Meadow Half Marathon and 5K Fun Run. The half marathon course travels forest roads near Lolo Pass and along wildflower-filled Packer Meadows.
- Saturday, June 29: Celebrate the Swan race, half marathon/10K/5K/5K walk/1-mile fun run. These events take place on forest roads outside of Condon.